Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Follow Me Down the Rabbit Hole...

Started Way Back, originally uploaded by Jaci Berkopec.

One thing I love about the homeschooling life is that no two days are exactly the same. I usually start the day with a schedule of sorts—mapping out some study time (natural sciences at the moment, yay for bacteria!) and time to practice piano. I like to get an early start on the day, hit the blogs, then chop down my to-do list.


But what about times when the unexpected happens? What about when you're just sitting down to write an in-depth analysis of The Count of Monte Cristo and your mom says, "Let's go over to the Young's house and visit with the girls!" 

A public-schooler or private-schooler might have to decline and get their work done. But a homeschooler? We know where our priorities lie and we have the freedom to work within those priorities!

Now, does that mean I'm going to go play Dutch Blitz with my friends every day and ignore my paramecium and astronomy? Not at all. This is freedom, not license.can take some time out of my day to relish the social and emotional parts of my life instead of being tied down strictly to education.

But when I have a dilemma I can research the answer. I can discover what that pretty flower’s name is, why the clouds do that thing in the sky, why King Henry VIII divorced Anne of Cleves. I can take a walk on a cool morning instead of plunging right into bookwork.

I love my freedom to discover and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That's my favorite thing about homeschooling. We have the freedom to socialize yet we also have the discipline to know when to study. =D

    ~Bridget

    bridget-frances.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please leave many comments, I love them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails