Saturday, June 25, 2011

NMS Covenant: Almost Spiedies


I finally got another chance to do a "No More Sandwiches" meal! It's about time :)

So I had a leftover piece of grilled chicken and some onions and I needed lunch fast. Hmmmm...a chicken and barbecue sauce sandwich? Never! A quick Google search brought up a suggestion for "Almost Spiedis". A spiedie (pronounced: speedy) is a dish from Greater Binghampton in New York State, and according to Wikipedia "consists of cubes of chicken, pork, lamb, veal, venison or beef. The meat cubes are marinated overnight or longer...in a special marinade, then grilled on spits...over a charcoal pit."

Now as I was trying to come up with a meal that could be made in about five minutes, I obviously wasn't going to make the authentic thing, but my little dish was inspired by it. I threw a bunch of stuff in a skillet (the chicken had been grilled to perfection a few days before) and ate it just like that. I probably overdid it somewhat on the heat (you see the poor blackened peppers), but it gave everything an interesting crunch--and I was in a hurry.

So do you want to make it yourself? You'll need
  • Olive oil
  • About a capful of apple cider vinegar
  • Sliced onions and bell peppers
  • Fresh garlic
  • A precooked chicken breast
  • Salt, pepper, and Italian seasonings
The apple cider vinegar was an interesting touch, and I think it added something special. A great way to make a more filling meal (this was more of a side-dish for me) would be to pile it all on top of a thick slice of soft Italian bread, or going all-out and actually skewering everything, marinating it, and throwing it on the grill.

                                                                                               Crusading for the cause against dull meals,

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave many comments, I love them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails