Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The Dresser Project

Before
After























I'm pretty picky about some things. It's a downfall of mine. So when it came time to purchase a dresser for my room, I wanted the perfect piece. Unfortunately (just in case you hadn't realized it yet) life isn't perfect, so I ended up with a dresser that was the perfect shape and size, but the finish was in sad shape. For years the prospect of sanding and refinishing the dresser loomed in my future, until Mom finally pushed me over the edge, I decided what I wanted, and we took the leap.

I'd always dreamed of having a piece of furniture with a shabby-chic crackle finish, but thought that was asking a little much. Mom encouraged me, however, and we purchased the supplies, hauled the thing into the garage, and set to work. I would love to take credit for this project, but my darling Mamage did 95% of the work. Thank you, Mama! I love you.


Ripe for revolution


That's right: Abby the sanding girl



Here's what a drawer looked like before sanding--dark brown stain and lots of scuff marks. Once Mom, Aaron, and I hit it, though, it was smooth and light and ready for primer.


It ain't seen nothin' yet.
















This is the surface once it's been primed with Kilz. 


Once it was primed, we coated every surface with flat black paint (if you ever do this yourself, remember to use flat paint and nothing but). Then Mamage applied the special (read: expensive) crackle finish. It looks just like a shiny clear coat, but does amazing things once you add the final layer of paint....

This is what happens when you roll satin paint over that clear crackle coat! Amazing, isn't it?

So this is the finished product. Though labor intensive, the actual process was not as difficult as one might think.  

Now I have a piece of furniture that I can be proud of, thanks to my wonderful family!



5 comments:

  1. It looks awesome! Miss Kim is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dresser got an amazing transformation--I love it!

    Blessings,
    Moriah

    P.S. Thank you for the sweet comment you left on my blog! I will be emailing you shortly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A Girl With Wings" has been included in this weeks Sites To See. I hope this helps to attract many new visitors here.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2011/09/sites-to-see_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abigail!!!
    Came by because you left a sweet comment and invited me to come see this - what an amazing job!!!
    Definitely your newest follower - would love to have you follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Suzan! I really appreciate it :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting! Please leave many comments, I love them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails