Friday, June 22, 2012

NMS Covenant: Pizza di Spaghetti

This use for leftover spaghetti is truly a revelation. It's fast, easy, delicious, and I had so much fun making it for dinner last night that I made it again today! After churning out a brutal essay on American existentialism, I was forced to face dinner alone with nothing in the refrigerator. Nothing. Honestly, you could see the shelves because there wasn't anything on them (a rarity in our household). The only thing there was a bag of leftover spaghetti (no sauce), and I had eaten spaghetti two days in a row and didn't fancy a repetition.

The lurking spaghetti....
Well, once again I was amazed by what can be done with leftovers. I googled "leftover spaghetti" and the first result was an article from Shoestring Magazine that described a slapdash version of Giada De Laurentiis' recipe for Pizza di Spaghetti. Immediately I rushed to begin putting it all together, and another NMS Covenant dish was born.






So all you need for this is

  • Spaghetti
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
  • Pesto
  • Salt and pepper
  • Garlic powder
  • 1 egg
  • Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
All of the measurements are pretty much a matter of taste, with my only recommendation being 1 egg/1 cup spaghetti. Mix all of this gunk (minus the EVOO) together in a bowl, coating every strand of spaghetti with the sticky mess and distributing the flavors evenly throughout. 


Now pour a little EVOO into a small nonstick skillet, and when it's good and hot slide the spaghetti-glop into it. Let it sizzle for a few minutes until it's nice and brown on the underside, then slide your spatula underneath and flip it over (If you're really good you can flip it into the air with the pan!).





Give it another couple of minutes, then slide it out onto a cutting board and slice it like a pizza, then you're ready to go! The result is an eggy, cheesy, crispy delicacy that's so pick-up-able. Definitely a new favorite of mine. 


This is very good dipped in spaghetti or marinara sauce, and I can think of so many things to throw into the spaghetti before frying it: chicken chunks, olives, artichoke hearts, herbs.... You could also mix it up and create a completely different flavor profile with Mexican seasoning, beef and salsa. 


I made this again for lunch today, and my family's general consensus was "weird, but very good." My brother Aaron called it "an experience to remember." I think it's just plain addicting. This might sound strange to you, but I can almost guarantee that you'll absolutely love it.


If you try out this recipe, be sure to leave a comment below and tell me all about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave many comments, I love them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails