Sunday, June 12, 2011

Live Like You Were Kind-of-Dying

Live like you'll die tomorrow by Mell P


No doubt you've heard that Tim McGraw song about the man who learned his time on earth was short: 

I went skydiving,
I went rocky mountain climbing,
I went two point seven seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu.
And I loved deeper,
And I spoke sweeter,
And I gave forgiveness I'd been denyin'.
And he said some day I hope you get the chance
To live like you were dyin'. 

It's an inspiring sentiment, but the truth is that most of us can't live exactly like we would if we were really dying. The whole point of that, after all, is to take risks and do what we really want to do because there won't be any consequences: we'll be dead long before the repercussions hit. But when you aren't dying there are certain consequences. 

For example: if I were to be diagnosed with terminal cancer right now I would probably take out a huge loan and take a tour of Europe. I would see the cathedrals, dream in the castles, eat the regional cuisine, chat with the locals; I'd make it the trip of a lifetime. Oh, and I would never clean the toilet. But if I did that right now you know what would happen: I'd be stuck with a whopping big loan which would make the next couple decades pretty miserable, and I'd have disgusting toilets.

So maybe we can't follow that cliche old phrase to the letter, but we can "kinda" do it. We can apply it to the little, everyday things. Goals like "loving deeper" and "speaking sweeter" don't take much money to accomplish. They just take a lot of grace and willpower.

Have you ever watched the movie Last Holiday? If not, I highly recommend it. It's the story of a woman who believes she only has three weeks left to live, and goes to Europe to find life and love for the first time. It's hilarious and touching, and can bring home some very weighty concepts. (Like, "The secret to life is butter.")

So go out there right now, find out what your passion is, what your dreams are, who you are, and make it happen. Then tell me all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave many comments, I love them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails