Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Don't Look Up!



MY FEET by misko13
For several years, maybe longer, I've had this somewhat strange habit. It doesn't matter where I'm walking--in the pasture or in the living room--I never take my eyes off the ground. 

I have to consciously force myself to look up and around me, otherwise I stare one or two steps in front of my feet. Maybe I have an irrational fear of straying off the path, or a subconscious terror of stepping on something icky. Whatever it is, I think it could be dangerous, or at least the mentality that it represents could be dangerous.

Do you do this in your life? Are you so focused on "the next thing" that you forget to see the big picture?

We don't go on walks through the woods to see the dirt and rocks beneath our feet. We go to see grandiose mountains, towering trees, and lakes sparkling like glitter in the sun. I'm all for living in the moment, but sometimes we need to break away! We shouldn't be afraid to look up, and turn our attention to something bigger than the everyday mundane.

MY FEET, a photo by misko13 on Flickr.

1 comment:

  1. I went through a phase when I, too, stared at the ground ahead. I suspect this was mostly due to my tendency to trip over whatever obstacles (including my feet!) lay in front of me.

    I've gotten better about that, but spiritually I am almost the opposite--I am far-sighted. Sensing so much in store ahead, I must make a conscious effort to make the most of the present.

    One must balance looking ahead while tending the future at the same time. I'm still learning to do that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Please leave many comments, I love them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails