Friday, September 11, 2009

Oh, How Easily...

I had in mind what I was going to write today, It was all planned out in my head. And then I got a look at the Yahoo! homepage. This shattered my resolution. This angered me.

As you all know, it's September 11th. I'm ashamed to admit that it wasn't the first thought that came to my mind this morning, I only remembered when I saw the Yahoo! homepage. And then I was startled, shocked. Of the four featured stories, here are three: Cheetah Breaks Land-Speed World Record, 20,000 Concert-goers Dance for Oprah, and something about Greenland's ice sheet. What?! The only featured newspiece that metioned one of the greatest tragedies of America's history was about the president struggling with two unpopular wars and a 'murky' fight against terrorism.

Unpopular? Murky? How could we forget? How could we let slide, even after eight years, the pain, heart-wrenching agony, tears, awe, panic, desolation, terror, that we felt on September 11, 2001? The televisions screaming about the loss of life, shot after shot of the towers collapsing in clouds of smoke, ash raining down on fleeing citizens...it was like something out of an end-of-the-world movie. And now what? Concert-goers dance for Oprah.

I understand that Yahoo! isn't the only place this should be memorialized, I realize that all over the country people are coming together to grieve. But let me ask you...have you forgotten? I write from personal experience. I told you that the day held nothing very special for me this morning, and now I have begun to think, I realize that I have let the trajedy slip into the back of my mind. I know that it's not right to dwell on the bad things in life and never look ahead, but should we lose sight of something that horrible, that heart-breaking?

The right-ness and purpose of the wars is debatable, but I'm not going to debate. I'm saying that when we are tempted to curl into our little shells, leave the world to its business and let it leave us to ours, we should remember that we were attacked on our soil. Attacked. And the sooner we forget it the sooner it will happen again.

There's my rant. People said to rememer the Alamo. It was a rallying cry that still rings through the years of bloodshed and memory. I say this. Remember the Towers. Remember the Pentagon. Remember Flight 93. Remember the 2,993 people who lost their lives on this day. Take courage and fight for their remembrance.

Abby Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! Please leave many comments, I love them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails