I haven't made muffins in so long, but since my friend gave me some adorable mini muffin tins for Christmas, I couldn't help myself.
This recipe comes from foodnetwork.com, courtesy of Gale Gand, and is so easy and delicious that I know you'll love it. All you need is a food processor to make this recipe super simple. I must say, it's the first time that I've blended an entire orange, peel and all!
Orange and Date Mini Muffins
1 medium orange
1/2 cup dates, cut up
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut whole, unpeeled orange into 8 sections and chop in a food processor. I know it sounds weird, but do it anyway (feel free to chop away the little green stem on either end of the orange).
- Add the chopped oranges to the dates, nuts, melted butter, orange juice, sugar, and egg.
- Mix dry ingredients together and then stir into the wet ingredients until just blended.
- Pour into mini-muffin tins, either greased or filled with paper cups. The original recipe said it made 12-17 mini muffins, but my tin is so small that it made 24 heaping mini muffins plus three regular-sized ones. Just be sure to fill your tins 3/4 full as the batter puffs up to about twice its size.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until firm in the center.